Thursday, September 03, 2009

Hidden Shores




DJ Scallywag - Hidden Shores


1.Memory Cassette - Last One Awake (Friend Version)
2.Ghostape - Your Eyes (Round Table Knights Remix)
3.Miike Snow - Animal
4.Jack Penate - Tonight's Today
5.Joakim - Spiders
6.Spirit Catcher - Sweet Deal
7.Major Lazer - Cash Flow (Clasixx Glass Bottom Dub Mix)
8.The Octopus Project - I Saw The Bright Shinies
9.Chymera - Parelo
10.Washed Out - You'll See It
11.Washed Out - Lately
12.Ytre Rymden Dansskola - Kahlula Madness (Remix)
13.Desire - Dans Mas Reves
14.Florence + The Machine - Rabbit Heart (Leo Zero Remix)
15.Kleerup - Until We Bleed (w/ Lykke Li)
16.Can - Sunday Jam
17.Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
18.Beatconductor - Carribean Path
19.Star You Star Me - Vega Cruises
20.Gatto Fritto - Hungry Ghosts
21.Memory Tapes - Green Knight
22.Grovesnor - Drive Your Car (Hot Chip Remix)
23.Passion Pit - The Reeling (Sammy Bananas' Big Choon Remix)
24.Memory Cassette - Body In The Water
25.Atlas Sound - Walkabout (w/ Noah Lennox)
26.Bibio - Lovers' Carvings


So here we are again with my annual "summer" mix. Normally I feel like a duncecap for getting these out so late, but this one actually has a nostalgic quality that works perfectly - sorta like the soundtrack for clinging to these last dog days. I think this is my favorite one of these I've done so far, kind've a mix between Endless Baleria and Listen & Glisten. It came together pretty easily too. I don't know if you noticed but there's been, like, a lot of summer music this summer.

So yeah, there's a bunch of great new songs, some older stuff as well, but it's all hyper-melodic and within the theme, and everything's still mixed all tight and proper-like. I tried to make it like the daytime companion to The Distant Haunts. Maybe you'll pick up on that.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy. In fact, bask in this one; get lost in it. Run into the waves, roll in the tide, let the sea wash over you as the sun cuts low across the sky. This is your place now too: a secret place, far away, where it's always warm and the sun is forever setting, and you've finally found what it is you've been looking for...


_

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a time when my world was filled with darkness, darkness, darkness. Am I free or am I tied up? I don't have much experience with death. Somebody from work died the other day. A sudden death in the office building. It's really amazing what a small wake we all leave behind. But the world moves on. And then you realize how little anybody cares. But you can't blame anybody for that because survival demands that we not care. You realize how it's all so meaningless because nothing can last, there is no end point, there is no purpose. We are all rats running from electrical charges in an experiment with no hypothesis. Cospermicus away!

DJ Scallywag said...

"We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is" -Mark Vonnegut (Son of Kurt Vonnegut, taken from his final book, Man Without A Country)


Dearest Cospermiscus,

I'm sure you've noticed that I've tried to tone it down over here, but since you "asked," I'll do my best to try and fill all the holes in your existential vacuum. ::cough::

While I do agree that we all, in a way, tend to construct a set of blinders in order to make this world manageable, the mere fact that we are here has always been pretty damn intriguing. I think I've mentioned this before, but I think of experience as this gigantic container with no discernible edges, and our trajectory as conscious beings is to fill up every possibility available to us, in every direction, good and bad, right and wrong. Our "purpose" or "job" though, I feel (i.e. as related to emotion and introspection) is to add as much as possible to the things that resonate within, and to act as a bridge for a greater range of conscious experience for people around us and ahead of us. Of course, that may just be some shitty survival mechanism talking --something we've developed to bolster self worth and add to the vast mating ritual that is culture -- but it tends to slow the churning for me, so I guess that's all I can ask for (aside from someway to alleviate the angst caused by the divide between results and expectations...)

That being said, I'll leave you with two things:

1st: The words of one of my favorite directors, Stanley Kubrick, on the matter...

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7094/mk3d9adhbqfu4171wvqe9q5.png

2nd: I just finished reading a series by Grant Morrison (Scottish comic writer whose comic, The Invisibles, was a big inspiration for The Matrix). It's called Animal Man and tackles a lot of big existential questions. Great read, and I'm not even into comics.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8299/npzg5npyvqkykmgpzg2j9uh.jpg

Check his stuff out if you get a chance. Figure his wake will leave ripples for awhile.

In the meantime, hope you enjoyed the mix...

Bobby Two-Scoops said...

Hey Mr. Scallywag - long time listener first time commenter - just wanted to say that I've downloaded all of your mixes and I think they're great - really - just awesome and I've got into a whole bunch of new music over the last couple of years thanks to you.
One of my faves is actually the Aurora Borealis mix, very pleasant..
I've also really been enjoying Hidden Shores.
Just wanted to pipe up and tell you to keep up the good work! Keep it real! It is appreciated!

Unknown said...

Loved the play list! Life is fragile!

Attention Sex Pistols' fans, Steve Jones' show Jonesy's Jukebox is back on the air exclusively on WWW.IAMROGUE.COM. Check out his interviews with an eclectic range of guests, from Alex Wasser to Billy Corgan to Tobey Maguire, Steve Jones never fails to entertain his audience with offbeat interview techniques! Also, Steve Jones has been confirmed to appear as musical guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Tune into CBS on Monday night at 12:35 AM to catch his guitar riffs that bring you back to your days of British punk! You'd be bang on not to miss it!!

Anonymous said...

PRODUCE MORE SHIT!! I'M DYING HERE, AS ARE YOU, AS IS EVERYBODY.

Anonymous said...

WHERE YOU AT, FOOL?