Tuesday, June 19, 2007

a mint



Dizzee Rascal- Where's Da G's feat. UGK

Dizzee Rascal- Bubbles

Dizzee's got a new album, Maths and English, due out the 21st here in the US. UGK is on that bitch! These are my two favorites tracks from it.

Roll Deep-Celebrate (JME Remix)

Other then Dizzee and Wiley, I've pretty much completely fell off with the grimewatch now that the hype has faded. I was always basically just about the beats when it came down to it anyway, so dubstep and other uk bass stuff has been more up my alley. Skepta's verse on this is a good example of why. Something along the lines of "I'm in Roll Deep but I live in North London so I only see them on the weekends but I'm still in Roll Deep, I swear, even if it doesn't seem like it, so uhh...Young Jeezy." Is that how you're supposed to represent on a posse cut? I guess rhyming a word with same word all the time doesn't really do it for me. This track is still hard as fuck though. JME's got good uptempo stuff.

JME-Duppy

True Tiger-Bare Face What

Here's another good JME produced posse cut that's a little older as well as the instrumental for that Bare Faced Dynasty track from the Run the Road 2 comp. It's a big ass industrial track that gets mac truck'd by some sinister horns, but the eq sounds all kinds of fucked up on this version. I'm offering it up because I want to know if it was a shitty vinyl rip or if that's how it was pressed. I can't really hang with the original vocals, but i figured i might be able to throw some trick daddy over it or something. It's got a scene tag so I assume it's the engineer's fault, but I would love a cleaner, bassier version if it exists. Don't really expect an answer on this one though. (Yeah, I figured you knew that all the questions you pose end up rhetorical at this point -Ed)

But anyway, back to UGK, I know I ragged on International Player's Anthem versus just regular old Player's Anthem because of Andre's verse bobbing around all over the place and taking up all kinds of time before the beat drops...but the video makes it come together so well that I take it back.



Paul's Rowdy Roddy Piper claims...Pimp C and Bun B's gear...those super focused hand claps in the car...and of course, ya boy Lukas Haas tenderly imploring Three Stacks to keep his heart. Everything about it is amazing. I don't think I can imagine myself enjoying any rap song more than this for a good while. Int'l Summertime Anthem as well.

Willie Hutch- I Choose You

Here's the original track. Between this and Stay Fly, I'd say the South owes Willie a whole lot of love. And don't even get me started on the Moby and Chemical Brothers samples, let alone the Dr. Dre or Biggie ones! He's up there as one the greatest in my book.

And on that note, shit, I gotta pack. Peace LA.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Finally, someone shows Lucas "Keep yo' heart Three Stacks!" Haas some appreciation.

(BTW, unless you want to see what a really bad club is like in NYC, keep away from Union bar on 19h and Park. Ugh.)