Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Midnight Pump Up Sesh...




I've got Coachella fever and the only prescription is more BLOG ABOUT IT.
(wow, definitely the worst one yet! -Ed)

For reals, i don't think i'm going to sleep anytime soon and I am getting fiery about it, even though they've got the set times all fucked up...like almost enough so to make me really discouraged.

Just a couple examples:
(Soulwax v Junior Boys)
(Ghostface v Coco Rosie)
(Blonde Redhead v Justice)
(Richie Hawtin v CSS v Konono No.1)
(me v a bunch of squelchy ass electro for more than thirty minutes in the burning hot DAYTIME)
(bonus!: me v paranthesis everywhere all the time, huh)


Yeah, there's always some conflicts, but this is kind of a mess for my tastes...i might have to compensate by ramping up the drug and alcohol intake...which is daunting, considering the past couple years. I'm not trying to end up, for example, super drunk at 4pm right near the front of the stage for Roots Manuva, with the sudden urge to lay down and take a nap...the last thing I remember probably being my friend looking down and saying "Um,I'm not so sure that's a good idea, dude". He later (hypothetically!) said that I got in at least one "naw dawg, it's chilllll" plus 2-3 minutes of actual passed outedness before being kicked in the head really hard and before realizing that yeah, I WAS actually completely engulfed by people and that that sleeping there was gonna kinda suck.

I (theoretically!) woke up a couple hours later over in the Sahara Tent, shivering my ass off to the constant thud of 4/4 bass hits. I'm not sure how I got over there, but in some strange turn of fate, I did manage to randomly find some other friends in like two minutes. They happened to be rolling balls. I was offered a pill. What with me being all groggy and scattered yet really happy that I wasn't gonna end up lost the whole rest of the time, I swallowed it just before the logic train kicked in. I ended up peaking during Nine Inch Nails. Jumping up and down and singing along to every word in "Hurt" in a state of utter elation made absolute perfect sense at the time...or at least I assumed it would ::aaa-wink::

Anyway, not the circus sideshow full o' drugs that I see some of you gonzo ass motherfuckers on, but I'm semi-reformed now and not trying to get too incriminating on the internet. What else...I figured I might post some Coachella related tracks but that's way too easy and I'm absolutely sure it's gonna be done by every other "empowered music fan" on the internet.

So here's a bunch of bedroom electronic type stuff then, so there.

Nosaj Thing-Aquarium

Amazing little downtempo thumper that shimmers with all kinds of untold treasureness. It's a little bit like looking into the eyes of a new born, only it's from Atlantis. The vocal cuts also contain a certain womb-like warmth that is rarely achieved with choppy Prefuse style sequences.

This version is 128kbps low rez-ed out, though. His EP "View/Octupus" is available at Turntable Lab, or itunes iTunes

Here's more kinda idm-ish songs that remind me of being really young and new at one point. Lullatone's got a new cd out semi recently called Pajama Party Pour Vous (I think?) but I haven't heard it yet.

Lullatone- Leaves Falling

Anne Laplantine- Dicipline 7

And here's one to remind me of WHAT I'VE BECOME!!!!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Otto Von Schirach- Submarine Mammal Milk

This is definitely my go to track if I feel like making a little scene and being a subversive dick ( usually in a crowded parking lot in my car). So far I've blasted this while pretending to be asleep on my steering wheel, as well as while smoking a blunt and doing a slow motion version of that thing you do with your hands at underground hip hop shows (y'know the point at the stage and sideways wave your hand above your head thing that shows you're all about it?). Anyway, some girls looked sorta baffled. It was mad crazy, yo.

Serious though, I do think Otto's shit is cool to listen to in a sound design kind of way. You'll probably either like or hate his stuff, but it's hard to deny that he's got the most well-honed visual component for an artist that is trying to go as balls out crazy as they can (Silver medal to The Locust and Yip-Yip in this category). Much props to AS1 for doing the artwork for a good portion of his output. Seriously, if I ever get my shit together and make an album and it's dope, I'd love for AS1 to do the cover. He's responsible for a lot of old rawkus and dnb covers too, as well as a bunch of stuff for more out there electronic producers. Recent fav was the severed cow gearwork contraption on the cover of the last Venetian Snares album.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Again, AS1.




Oh, and there's lots of clips of Otto's live show all over the youtube. This one shows you what a real mash up is supposed to sound like.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Speaking of mash-ups...BurglePuft Remix? Unnnh!



Paul Kalkbrenner- Steinbesser (Wighnomy Brothers Remix)

Oh and speaking of idm and sound design and movies, this sounds like an electronic score to some haunted sewer flashback scene (like a dark ass sewer or cave with like some weird glint off in the distance that you keep running towards, cause there's a little bit of "wonder" in the track too.)

Oh, I still remember part of my dream from last night! Ooooh, I can catalogue it, like a dreamlog or something. Seriously, I always want to do this and have only actually done it like 3 or 4 times.

So the part I remember was with a bunch of huge pillar towers (like Tower of Pisa style only no lean) in this big ass lake surrounded by some grand canyon style cliffs. Anyway, there was a diving board at the top of each skyscraper like tower and I got to jump off these badboys into the water way way below. Some of them even had crags and other stuff I had to avoid as I fell and it was kinda hectic but when I did hit this one time I kinda bounced off video game style so it was all good. The kicker though was that to get to the top of these towers, there was a ring shaped elevator platform and at the center of the ring was the core of the tower, which was composed entirely of shelves with all kinds of bomb ass donuts on it, like all those rippled ones, and the twisty ones, but really Willy Wonka'd out. So while I was getting transported up to base jump with no parachute, I was grabbing huge assortments of donuts like it was no thing. I think for some reason Madonna owned all this shit too...I remember seeing plasma screens on the wall with her explaining stuff. Anyway, it's always nice to have a dream that was fun and (sorta) made sense and wasn't just some jumble of frustratingly hallucinogenic and confusing crap.



Uhhhh, and on that note, midnight funzone time is over. Looks like the randomness won this round. See you after Coachella (if I can still figure out how to work the computer!) ::bicycle horn:: DOINK! ::whatever makes that a-wooo-gaaa sound::

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But the best part of Coachella was you making out with Brian Boitano's cousin or niece or whatever the hell she was during "Hurt" ahhhhhh

DJ Scallywag said...

ahhhhhhhhh X 100000000000000000

I swore I wrote that you were on acid in there but now it's gone...

What, did you hack the mainframe just to protect your lawyerly self from unwanted libel (or is it slander? I think it's libel), cause all I have to say to that is LIKE IT MATTERS!

You know just as well as I do that you are gonna get fed up with bullshit politicians and end up in the woods with a thick ass beard and mad booby traps surrounding your ayahuasca farm...y'know, fending off those goddamn hippies or Ents or Romulans or whatever it is that you'll conjure up :)

Anonymous said...

How'd you know it was me? Working for the man I gots to be covert. I'm gonna have a farm one day though. In northern CA hopefully. It will be glorious.

DJ Scallywag said...

your handwriting was a dead giveaway.