Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My mental space is soo the result of an overabundance of technology...


Serious though. The limitless excess that is internet world has forever altered my ability to be stimulated by conventional means...

Not to sound redundant...but seriously. That being said, I absolutely love how hard my tastes have splintered over the years and i get the feeling that the bird's eye view of the whole thing must look like some sort of hydra-fied rainbowblob...y'know, with little close quarter scrubbers sweeping the well trodden areas diligently, while the long bioluminescent probes are busy lugging in pieces from the deep, pulling them in closer to the core for a more thorough inspection...anyway, here's a small peek at some of the recent haul.

edit: Cease and Desisted y'allz..., how do you do the line through the text thing

CocoRosie-Rainbow Warriors

CocoRosie-Raphael

Kookiest dames in the game are back. Way more awesome sound effects(standard lo fi and more distinct ones too), and noticeably less of a "actually, we are trust funded out our asses but we made an album one day while we were tripping balls" vibe (which I guess is my way of saying that they sound like they are actually delving into themselves, rather than reveling in the comfort of their smokescreen of oddities?). The new album, The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn is out today on Touch & Go. It is similiar to their older stuff but at the same time, very different. Definately worth checking out if you dig their quirky/eerie brand of fractured beauty.



Here's the video for the best song on their last album, Noah's Ark. I wouldn't be surprised if the treatment was just a crumpled piece of paper with "Gwen Stefani+way more drugs" scribbled on it.

UGK-Player's Anthem featuring Three Six Mafia

It's been awhile since I posted some rap so here it is. Goddamn, when southern tracks have those amazingly soulful old samples (Willie Hutch, baby...so necessary) strapped to that super quantized style of boom bap, my ears get pleased on so many levels. Crime Mob's Circles is another great new example with the same feel. UGK's new album, Underground Kingz, got pushed back to May. This will tide me over.

(Update: I knew I'd heard this before. Project Pat used that same beat on Choose You from his 02 album, Layin' da Smack Down. Anyway, this new one's tight. Fuck that Andre 3000 version. 3 stacks, just cause you're one of the greatest ever, doesn't mean you don't have to rhyme on beat. I know it's on purpose cause you're crazy like that, but c'mon, you know syncopation is naturally more pleasing to the ear. That's cop out innovatin')

Paul Wall-Bangin' Screw

Paul Wall's new shit is already out and it has some bangers on it too. The two singles are fiery, I'm hoping "I'm throwed" blows up because I am in need of some new heat (that people will actually appreciate if I throw on). This is the sleeper hit of the album though, that 4 bit ringtone sound is awesome. I bet whoever produced this heard about how Timbaland got caught biting that chiptune track straight up for that Nelly Furtado song (google it if you don't know the story) and realized that that type of shit sounds great with 16 note high hats cutting it up. That clean ass organ sound is ill as well.

edIT-Southern Belle

So this dude edIT comes from an idm/drum n bass background but has been doing a crazy sliced and diced version of southern rap and crunk for a minute now as well as rocking parties as part of the Glitch Mob (I posted a link of his mix for Hefty many moons ago, it might still be up). He has an album, Certified Air Raid Material, which has been held back for what seems like forever now, but I'm assuming it'll sound like a combo of all these things. However, this song, off a comp called Morrow Choral Orchestra, is some bubbleworld goodness with no trace of southern swagger.


Peter, Bjorn & John-Young Folks (ORtzRoka Remix)

This sounds nothing like the original outside of a similiar chord progression and some dubbed out vocals, but it's the best remix I've heard of it yet. Side note(aren't they all?): I DID hear a Baltimore Club version out the other night and I had to bury my face in my hands for a minute (while a couple assholes were geeked on it, like it was some amazing concept at this point...). Basically, as soon as I heard it start, I knew exactly how the whole thing was gonna sound, and I found that to be pretty depressing. Stop people...just please, stop.

La Bionda-Wanna be your Lover

I love that I am still hearing jams of this caliber being unearthed from the timefog that is the 80's. Popcorn synths, retro spaceship talk, voxed out foreign male/female vocals, and then a killer little synth solo as a hook. Fuck irony, this is just good music.


Smokey Robinson-Responding

Ahh, Smokey. No need to say anything except that it's not my birthday but when I throw this on it feels like it is...and I JUST realized (after trying to place it for FOREVER) that it was Nightmares on Wax that sampled the awesomely optimistic string line back on OG favorite, Smoker's Delight. A great song and one less itch to scratch for me.

------------

Here's to soaking it all in...I hope this makes perfect sense in your own little world as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the Young Folks remix - I love it!